RGV250 – Piece by Piece

You hear a lot of people say that 2-strokes are simple engines to work on. Based on that theory, we decided to have a crack at putting the pieces of the RGV engine together ourselves. In our previous RGV post, you may remember the story of how we were left with a rag full of nuts and bolts, a completely dismantled cassette gearbox and of course the mysterious bent con-rod. This was ground zero for us, but it also presented the perfect opportunity to start new and actually learn something in the process.

We started this rebuild project by doing stocktake of what parts needed replacing and which could be reused

List of replaced parts:

  • Head gaskets
  • Power valve gaskets
  • Power valve screws
  • Gearbox Bearings
  • Rebuilt Crank
  • Spacer for the Primary Driven Gear
  • Top and bottom piston kit
  • Carb needles

Parts purchased from: Tuning Works and RGV Spares

In the theme of keeping it ‘Original’ we stuck to the rule of genuine Suzuki, albeit with the exception of the Bearings. Al is the chief mechanic in this partnership. He was one angry Scottsman when he saw our engine in pieces laying dead in the cardboard box. But there’s no denying, Al prefers things broken…just so that he can fix them. That’s just what he does – he is a fixeruppara.

The first problem we encountered was trying to get the centre shaft bearing out of the case. Al tried a few tricks, like heating up the case to expand the surroundings of the bearing and knocking it out with a rubber mallet.

We even swore at it and still it didn’t want to come out.

Unfortunately, the center shaft bearing is in a tight spot as the outer side of the bearing is concealed by the crank case itself. This bearing needed to be pulled out rather than knocked out. What we needed was a bearing puller of sorts. I explained the situation to my trusty machinist father in-law and within a few days he had called saying that the job was done.

In fact Orlando from JOM Engineering actually manufactured a slide hammer bearing puller tool. In just a few slide action knocks, the stubborn bugger of a bearing came right out. Both bearings were nothing short of F$*$ked! Which was a relief actually. We had to pin the cause of our sick sounding engine on something and the shaft bearings were prime suspects.

RGV Crank bearings
Old and New


Heating the casing for easy bearing fitment.
New bearing and gasket installed
RGV250 Gearbox installation
Click, Click, Click gearbox duly fitted


Rebuilt crank installed
Starting to look familiar again

In the picture above, you can see an assortment of screws, cir clips, bolts and dowels. Our test of mechanical excellence would mean that every single fitting should return to its original home.  So far, we were on a roll… with the assistance of  CMSNL website and the RGV workshop manual, everything seem to just simply fall into place. Passing the test, would mean no left overs. Hmmmm….the rebuild continues.

Please follow and like us: